Sayuri is a young aspiring nurse who first appeared in the December 5, 2019 update version of the DMM version of Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation, as well as the February 13, 2021 update in the Singapore Steam version of the same game as a teaser, and later unveiled in full on February 24 of the same year.
- 1 History
- 2 Character
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Notes and references
- 8 Navigation boxes
History[edit | edit source]
Sayuri successfully trained as a nurse, and had a knack for making her patients feel comfortable. However, it is implied that she did her job too well, which caused her to be let go as her patients didn't want to leave. Eventually, she sought out the Venus Islands hoping to secure a job as its resident nurse, although she ended up getting a lot more than she bargained for when she was recruited for the local Venus Festival after nursing the islands' tenant from a bad case of heat stroke due to her ship running late on arrival.
Character[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Owing to her occupation as a nurse, her default attire is that of a bikini modeled after a nurse's outfit. She has fair skin, green eyes, and chest-length dark brown hair with a bun held with a white frilly hair band on the left side, as well as two beauty spots near her left eye similar to those of Tamaki. She also possesses fairly large and prominent lips. She is also shown to be extremely voluptuous, having the second-largest bust size of the DOA girls, being only one centimeter smaller than Honoka, as well as a centimeter larger than her in hip and waist measurements.
Personality[edit | edit source]
As expected of a nurse, Sayuri is extremely caring and friendly, often showing concern for the health of others and taking care of them, or offering advice on how to take better care of themselves. Similar to Tamaki, she has a sisterly demeanor, although to a much greater extent, even referring to herself as "Big Sis" ("onee-chan" in the Japanese version) when talking to others. She implies that this demeanor is a holdover from her previous nursing job.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Sayuri is a common feminine Japanese name. Although there's no inherent meaning when written in hiragana, its common kanji form (小百合) translates to "small lily."
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Ayane[edit | edit source]
Sayuri met Ayane when the latter attempted to discuss with the Owner about setting up the former's welcoming party, due to the Owner being indisposed. They then had an amicable chat before Ayane began feeling tired. However, Ayane got irritated after waking up to find Sayuri had brought Kasumi into the matter.
Kasumi[edit | edit source]
Sayuri met Kasumi while Ayane was resting, and also filled her in on the events that transpired thus far. Kasumi didn't mind Sayuri's quirk of referring to herself as an older sister, even finding it nice.
Kanna[edit | edit source]
Sayuri met Kanna during the welcome party for her, with Kanna voicing her plans to take over the island. However, Kanna was unhappy when Sayuri ended up causing her "minion" Luna to defect to Sayuri's side by offering to make her some food.
While she didn't directly interact with Kanna during the Christmas celebrations themselves in the DMM version, she did encounter her in the aftermath, where she alongside Nagisa played along with Fiona and Kanna's apparent encounters with Santa.
Luna[edit | edit source]
Luna met Sayuri during the latter's welcome party. She was shown to like Sayuri's meals enough that she ended up "defecting" from Kanna's side in favor of Sayuri's.
Misaki[edit | edit source]
Misaki met Sayuri in the aftermath of the welcoming party, where they made small talk about themselves and their families, including Misaki's older sister named Nagisa.
In the DMM version of the first Atelier Ryza collaboration, after the Owner abruptly collapsed after Misaki and Fiona supplied him with a homemade anti-insomnia drug they had made, Misaki initially considered having Sayuri brought in to resuscitate him due to believing they accidentally poisoned him, although Fiona was certain the drug merely successfully put him to sleep.
Nagisa[edit | edit source]
During Christmas in the DMM version, Sayuri alongside a reluctant Nagisa worked together to act as substitute Santas for the Owner regarding giving gifts to Fiona and Kanna (as the latter, mistaking the Owner for Santa, inadvertently spoiled his attempted gift giving). Afterwards, they played along when encountering Fiona and Kanna's claims that Santa visited them. Nagisa also reluctantly joined in with Sayuri's insistence that they wish the Owner a Merry Christmas. The two later interacted during the New Year festivities alongside Marie Rose, with their eventually playing a game of Sugoroku together, although Nagisa eventually got annoyed when she learned that the contents of the game were trivia comments about Sayuri.
Fiona[edit | edit source]
In the DMM version, Sayuri during Christmas ended up going to Fiona's room to deliver a gift, with her largely succeeding without a hitch due to Fiona being deeply asleep. While there, she also discovered Fiona's romantic feelings for the Owner via the latter's sleep talk, viewing it as cute. The next day, Sayuri encountered Fiona as well as Kanna discussing with the Owner excitedly about Santa's visit, with Sayuri largely playing along.
Tamaki[edit | edit source]
Sayuri and Tamaki had an awkward meeting during New Year's due to both Tamaki's swimsuit design choice as well as Tamaki doing her own "health checkup" on Sayuri, though they largely got along. Sayuri also suggested that Tamaki lay off on consuming alcoholic beverages to prolong her health, although due to Tamaki insisting on drinking for New Year's, she offered that Tamaki at least drink soy milk cocktails during the event as a healthier alternative. They also both planned for a health event for New Year's that the Owner was to partake in.
Leifang[edit | edit source]
Sayuri encountered Leifang near a rock climbing cliff, where she cleared Leifang's bill of health and was impressed by her more "Spartan" way of keeping healthy. Leifang also gave Sayuri a pep talk to climb up the cliff when the Owner apparently was in trouble during the climbing experience, citing that Sayuri was the only one who could climb without ruining her outfit (as Leifang was in a New Year kimono and thus could not do it herself).
Marie Rose[edit | edit source]
Sayuri and Marie Rose met each other during the New Year's festivities, where they acted as Japanese virgins, as well as playing a round of Sugoroku together. Marie did not particularly mind that the contents of the game contained trivia information about Sayuri, since it allowed her to learn more about her.
Owner[edit | edit source]
Sayuri met the Owner when she arrived at the island to look for work as a nurse. Because her ship was late getting to port, the Owner had begun suffering from heat stroke by the time she arrived, though she fortunately put her medical skills to good use and treated him before advising him to take rest. She also attempted to refer to the Owner by the proper title of "-san" after an awkward moment where she referred to him as "-chan" (In the English version, this is instead translated as her calling him "little Boss" while struggling to refer to him by more proper terminology.).
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Dead or Alive series[edit | edit source]
- Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation (playable character, 2019)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- She is currently the oldest human character in Xtreme Venus Vacation at age 24, being a year older than Helena Douglas.
- She is the third character to explicitly give her measurements, after Nagisa and Monica (the three characters did so via their second episode).
- She also implies that her measurements as given may have changed from the previous year (namely, her waist might have grown bigger), as they were from a health exam from that time.
- Similar to Honoka's cow-themed apparel, Sayuri's favorite food and drink, as well as the name of her debut SSR, are all named after or reference milk.
- Sayuri's nationality was not listed due to Xtreme Venus Vacation not having a nationality section for the girls' bios. However, it was nevertheless heavily implied to be Japanese due to her name being spelled in the Hiragana spelling instead of the Katakana spelling, as well as her mentioning to Patty that her hometown often chants "Tamaya" whenever fireworks go off during the third anniversary (referring to a cultural element of Japan that referenced the fireworks maker during the Edo period of Japanese history). She is currently one of only two Japanese characters whose nationality has not actually been confirmed in another entry, the only other being Tsukushi (not counting Kanna).
- During the second Destiny Child collaboration, Sayuri wore Mona's outfit.
- According to Sakura D in Famitsu's third anniversary coverage, Sayuri was created to fill the role of an older sister archetype. He also made her the type to outright spoil the Owner in order to give her a differentiating factor from Momiji, who technically already filled the role of an older sister characterization. He also mentioned that her backstory of being fired from the hospital due to making her patients too comfortable had been suggested by one of his staff.
- The same section also unveiled concept art which depicted her with slightly different hairstyles, with colors ranging from a green to a reddish tint while still being dark colored overall.
- Her sharing a similar character archetype to Momiji is most likely the reason why the latter replaced her in the White Christmas ~ Snowy Island ~ event episodes in the Singapore Steam version.
- In the Singapore Steam version, she is the second girl to receive a teaser prior to formally debuting after Nagisa, as well as the fourth overall (as she technically had her teaser occur after Lobelia's in the DMM version). She is also the first add-on girl to have a Steam-exclusive paid outfit.
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Implied by the Hiragana spelling of her name.
- Famitsu 3rd anniversary DOAXVV coverage, page 82
[edit | edit source]
|Playable||Kasumi • Momiji • Hitomi • Helena Douglas • Marie Rose • Honoka • Nyotengu • Kokoro • Ayane|
|Post-DOAX3 Exclusives||Misaki • Leifang|
|PC Exclusives||Luna • Tamaki • Fiona • Nagisa • Kanna • Monica • Sayuri • Patty • Tsukushi • Lobelia|
|Games||Beach Volleyball • Blackjack • Butt Battle • Poker • Pool Hopping • Tug-of-War • Beach Flags • Rock Climbing • Roulette|
|Other terms||Gift Giving • Pictorial Scenes • Pole Dancing • Stats • Swimsuits • Virtual Pictorial • Zack Dollars • Girl Mode • Owner Mode|
|New Zack Island|
Casino • Hotel • Niki Beach • Pool and Poolside • Sports Shop • Tranquil Beach • Zack of All Trades
|Achievements • Costumes • Downloadable Content • Item Collection Datasheet • Merchandise • Promotional Artwork and Wallpapers • Transcripts (Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 and Scarlet/Venus Vacation)|