- "I can't guarantee that you'll be happy with what you find there, sweetheart...as they say, blood is thicker than water..."
- —Miyako in Dead or Alive 4
Miyako is a former mistress to Fame Douglas, and the mother to his second child Kokoro, who first appeared in Dead or Alive 4. Miyako is also head of the Dead or Alive Tournament Executive Committee in Japan, a job that often keeps her busy away from her daughter Kokoro.
When she was young, Miyako with Fame Douglas started an affair. As a result of the affair, Miyako became pregnant and gave birth to Kokoro.
Miyako raised Kokoro in Japan as a single parent in Kyoto, never telling her daughter about her father or her heritage to DOATEC. She started to oversee Kokoro's training to become a geisha. However, Miyako is the head of DOATEC Japan, as stated in Dead or Alive 5, but it is unknown how long she has worked there, especially during Kokoro's existence.
Miyako and Anne also conspired to despoil the hegemony of DOATEC USA, although this plot resulted in the latter being killed.
Dead or Alive 4Edit
At the age of seventeen, Kokoro had become skilled in bajiquan and heavily interested in martial arts competition and requested to her mother for permission to enter the fourth Dead or Alive Tournament. Miyako reluctantly agrees but warns her daughter that she may not be happy with what she finds there.
During the tournament, it is hinted that Helena Douglas - another daughter of Fame's, and Kokoro's half-sister - knows about Miyako, as she tells Kokoro to "ask Miyako" about their blood when the girls first meet.
Dead or Alive 5Edit
As noted above, Miyako was revealed to have become the head of DOATEC Japan. It was later revealed that she somehow became aligned with MIST, the offshoot of DOATEC led by Victor Donovan, although Kokoro is not made aware of this. Her reason for her association with MIST is never revealed.
In Dead or Alive 4, Miyako never faces the camera, so her face isn't seen in-game; however, through game hacking, it is possible to see her face. In Dead or Alive 5, she is seen in a cutscene with Helena and Lisa.
Miyako looks a lot like her daughter, as they both have soft, rounded facial features. The main different between them is that Miyako wears natural-looking make-up, and her face is more of an oval shape, while Kokoro's face is circular. Miyako also has black hair like her daughter but wears it cut to the nape of her neck. She is seen wearing a simple purple kimono, with a pink obi sash, and white tabi socks.
In Dead or Alive 5, Miyako seems to have longer hair, which is swept to a braid on the side on the top of her head and she now wears business attire.
Miyako is a loving and very protective mother. She wants the best for her daughter and kept the truth from Kokoro about her father and her link to DOATEC. In Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, it is revealed that Kokoro went to New Zack Island behind her mother's back, hinting that she rarely lets Kokoro out on her own.
Miyako seems to be an independent and hard-working woman, as she is head of the DOATEC center in Japan.
Miyako's name in kanji (美夜子) means "beautiful night child." The meaning most refers - quite literally - to her former occupation as a geisha and her affair with Fame Douglas.
Kokoro is Miyako's only child that she had with Fame Douglas. She raised Kokoro in Kyoto and as she grew older, trained her to become a geisha. Miyako is very protective of Kokoro, even to the point of not letting her go to the 4th Dead or Alive tournament, fearing for her safety and possibly finding out the truth of who she was. Kokoro tells Lisa that Miyako never tells her of the work she is doing.
Helena seems to know Miyako as she mentioned her to Kokoro, telling her to ask her mother about who she was. It was stated that Helena knows Miyako through ties of DOATEC, as well as Miyako having the position of high ranks in DOATEC's Japan center. It is unknown if Helena promoted her or not, and it is unknown if Miyako knows of Donovan's plans.
Dead or Alive seriesEdit
- Dead or Alive 4 (non-playable, 2005-06)
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 (mentioned, 2006)
- Dead or Alive Paradise (mentioned, 2010)
- Dead or Alive Dimensions (mentioned, 2011)
- Dead or Alive 5 (5+) (non-playable, 2012-13)
- Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (non-playable, 2013)
- Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (non-playable, 2015)
- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (mentioned, 2016)
- Miyako can be compared to C.Viper from the Street Fighter series, as they are both caring mothers who protect their daughters from knowing their true intentions.
- As Kokoro enters her mother's room, Miyako is seen sorting out pink tulips in a vase. This could mean that Miyako has a hobby in ikebana, which is flower arranging.
- In the original Dead or Alive, Dead or Alive 2, and Dead or Alive 3, the system voice was called "Miyako." This, however, is not a reference to Kokoro's mother but a reference to the system voice actress, Miyako Endō.
- It is possible that Miyako may have put Kokoro's geisha training on hold, as they have moved from Kyoto to Tokyo, and Miyako seems to do a lot of work that Kokoro does not even know about.
- In the original story treatment for Dead or Alive 5, Miyako would have been revealed to have known about the impending ninja attack on DOATEC-USA, but deliberately with held the information, and would later be implied to have wiped out Kasumi and Ayane's village, leaving them the only known survivors, and resulting in them teaming up to exact revenge.
- Though Miyako was only mentioned in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 during Kokoro's story mode, in Ayane's ending where a woman is giving her a massage, if you have the PlayStation VR connected and if you'll look closely at the woman, she resembles Miyako but with a different hair color and a left sided hairstyle.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/notes/tomonobu-itagaki/shed-luster-on-the-game-industry-why-did-we-stop-to-create-dead-or-alive-5/1552844841646295