Like what you see?
MIST, sometimes styled as M.I.S.T. is a weapon research and development organization formed and headed by Victor Donovan. It was first introduced in the 2012 title Dead or Alive 5 during the events of the fifth Dead or Alive World Combat Championship. However, according to Helena Douglas, it was possible that it existed without a formal name within DOATEC while Donovan was still a member of the latter.
After Helena put a stop to Project Alpha within DOATEC, MIST continued the project and improved it, with the goal to mass produce bio-engineered super-soldiers. After the events of the fifth Dead or Alive tournament and the destruction of their facility, MIST remains at large, working from a number of hidden facilities.
It's unknown what MIST as a name means or stands for, but it is possible that it was named after Kasumi, the person who was used as a starting point for Project Alpha; the name Kasumi means "mist," a light fog.
History[edit | edit source]
Origins[edit | edit source]
According to Helena, it was possible that MIST had been existing within DOATEC without an official name for years. A likely case would be that MIST was originally a sub-section to DOATEC that Donovan created in order to produce his bio-weapon projects, including Projects Alpha, Epsilon, and Omega.
Although Epsilon and Omega lead to fruitless results, Alpha was a success. Capturing Kasumi after she won the first Dead or Alive Tournament, they used her DNA to produce many clones possessing her physical appearance and fighting abilities; these clones included Kasumi α. By the time of the fourth tournament, they had started to alter the DNA to create clones with improved skills, which led to the creation of Alpha-152, an inhuman weapon bearing a sole desire to destroy all in its way. It was considered perfect and the ultimate product of the project.
Before further development could take place, the Mugen Tenshin Ninja Clan attacked the Tritower Heliport where Project Alpha was being held. This led to the building's destruction, the end of the project under DOATEC and Donovan's departure from the organization.
Nevertheless, Donovan wanted to continue with Project Alpha, which led to the formation of MIST, with its main research facility hidden within an off-shore oil platform owned by DIG, a sub-division of DOATEC.
By the time of the fifth tournament, MIST had produced many more clones and had improved their fighting abilities. From there, they were planning to begin Phase Four: the development and mass production of the perfect soldier.
Helena, now the leader of a reformed DOATEC, had become aware of the strange comings-and-goings within DIG and found out about Donovan's plans. Although she was unable to do anything herself due to her position, she brought in Hayate, Ayane, and Ryu Hayabusa to break into the facility and put a stop to it. Whilst in there, Hayate was captured to restart Project Epsilon, so Hayabusa called for Kasumi to help.
While they tried to awake him, Alpha-152 started to form and, as they fought it off, it was picking up the forms and abilities of Ayane, Hayate, and Hayabusa as well. In the end, however, the clone was destroyed and the facility fell.
Despite DIG’s destruction, MIST continues to operate out of other hidden bases. While their main facility was destroyed, Rig confirmed to Donovan that he had located "samples" and that everything was going exactly as planned.
MIST then turns to a new project, enlisting the help of prodigious scientist, NiCO, in order to cybernetically revive the former shinobi, Raidou. To this end they target a participant from the fifth tournament’s Asian qualifier, Honoka, later revealed to be Raidou’s daughter, sending Christie to kidnap her. Although the resurrection is a success, Raidou is subsequently destroyed for good by the efforts of Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate and Ryu Hayabusa.
Known Projects[edit | edit source]
- Project Alpha - Planned to enter Phase 4 before the facility was destroyed and after Rig got enough data for his father to mass produce the clones. Its current status is active.
Known Personnel[edit | edit source]
Current Personnel[edit | edit source]
- Victor Donovan Sr. - Leader and creator of MIST.
- Phase-4 - The final product of Project Alpha, the mass produced versions are field agents of MIST.
- Christie - Donovan's personal bodyguard and head of MIST security. Handler of mind control program on Rig.
- Victor Donovan Jr./Rig - An agent of MIST who answers directly to Donovan, he is revealed to be the victim of mind control, becoming an unknowing servant of MIST at the behest of Christie.
- Miyako - Although head of DOATEC Japan, Miyako also seems to be involved with MIST in some way, although the reasons behind it are unknown.
- NiCO - A prodigious young scientist obsessed with perfecting the ability to resurrect the dead. She was brought in as Lisa’s replacement.
Former Personnel[edit | edit source]
- Lisa Hamilton - Formerly Donovan's head research scientist, she defected to the reformed DOATEC after faking her death in the fifth tournament, although it is later revealed she was actually on Helena's side since the second tournament.
Deceased Personnel[edit | edit source]
- Kasumi Alpha - A clone of Kasumi who used to serve Donovan as his personal bodyguard until she was defeated by the true Kasumi. She was later transformed into the superhuman creature known as Alpha-152, only to be defeated again by the original Kasumi.
- Raidou - A former member of the Mugen Tenshin clan killed by Kasumi during the first tournament, he was resurrected as a cyborg by NiCO, with the unwilling help of Ayane and Honoka, to serve as a secret agent of MIST. Later destroyed by Ayane, Kasumi, and Hayate, with no trace left behind.
Known Locations[edit | edit source]
- DIG - An off-shore oil platform owned by DOATEC. It was destroyed during the events of the fifth tournament.