Koharu is a young woman who appeared in the November 2, 2021 update for Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation in the DMM and Japanese Steam versions.
She was the daughter of a couple who owned a hot spring inn. In large part because of this, she aspired to become a landlady of her own inn. While growing up, during her breaks, she often went to the relaxation room and read various books inside, which contributed massively to her later love of classical Japanese literature.
She eventually went to the Venus Islands to work at the hotel. While trying to get her luggage to the hotel, she stumbled and fell on the Owner. Afterwards, the Owner decided to have her be a participant in the Venus Festival.
Koharu has pale skin, black hair worn in a side ponytail held by a pink string with a gold jingle bell, and purple eyes. She is not as busty as the other girls, but still possesses an ample chest. Her main attire is a slightly revealing kimono, similar in overall appearance to the Stylish Blossom outfits, albeit with yellow mixed in. Her belt buckle has a stylized owl on it. Although nowhere near as short as Marie Rose or Kanna, she is nevertheless one of the smaller girls on the island.
Owing to her desired career choice, Koharu was shown to be meek, dutiful, and submissive. She also utilized respectful terms towards the Owner and to a lesser degree the other Venuses (initially referring to the latter party by the suffix "-Sama" until Leifang told her such wasn't necessary). Similar to Marie Rose and Patty in the Japanese version, she at times refers to herself in the third person, although not nearly to the same extent.
Koharu is a Japanese feminine name. It can mean several things depending on the Kanji involved, but generally translates to "small", "heart", "spring", or "summer."
Koharu met Hitomi as well as Leifang in person shortly after the latter party did three laps around the island. However, she already knew their names and faces by that time by having studied up on them, citing that as being an important skillset for acting as a landlady of an inn someday. Hitomi also related somewhat towards her desire to train in innkeeping, due to her constantly training her Karate skills even during vacations. She also offered to have Koharu train alongside her, although she refused, mostly because her job didn't allow for that kind of training. She also watched with some amusement Hitomi and Leifang get into an argument over cooking, glad to gain some "older sisters."
Koharu met Leifang as well as Hitomi in person shortly after the latter party did three laps around the island. However, she already knew their names and faces by that time by having studied up on them, citing that as being an important skillset for acting as a landlady of an inn someday. Leifang also told her not to be so formal with her fellow venuses when she initially addressed them with "-Sama", with her taking Leifang's advice to heart. Leifang also offered to teach Koharu how to prepare Chinese dishes, with Koharu agreeing mostly because the hot spring inn that her family owned was also getting foreign customers and thus knowledge on foreign as well as Japanese cuisines will ultimately be necessary in the near future. She also watched with some amusement Leifang and Hitomi's argument after the latter implied that Leifang tended to add too much spice, as well as expressed gladness at gaining "older sisters."
Misaki apparently met Koharu the first day of her arrival, and even provided pointers to her regarding working with the Owner, based on statements made by Koharu in one of her debut episodes. Misaki largely related to her due to her also working part time for the Owner as his supporter.
Tamaki met Koharu by accident after Misaki and Koharu were forced to break into her room due to her sleeping past noon due to the latter needing to clean it. It was implied from the strewn about swimwear and Tamaki wearing glasses that she was pulling an all-nighter researching new swimsuit designs. Tamaki also implied that she found Koharu cute, which disturbed Koharu slightly. When cleaning the room, Koharu also was shocked at the more adult nature of Tamaki's swimsuit designs, with her refusing when Tamaki offered to give her one of the designs before hurriedly leaving under the pretense of finding sheets to replace the bed with.
Elise alongside Nanami, met Koharu after the latter invited the two and several other girls over for Japanese tea and snacks, with Elise in particular being motivated to learn more about Japanese culture. Elise was particularly impressed with Koharu's manners, even beyond her job. She also deduced some elements on what the snacks were meant for (namely raising blood sugar enough to endure hot springs due to the heat from the springs making people sick otherwise).
Nanami, alongside Elise, met Koharu after the latter invited the two and several other girls over for Japanese tea and snacks, with Nanami being surprised at Koharu being the same age as her. When learning of Koharu's past of being the daughter of the innkeepers of a particular historical hot spring inn, Nanami also pondered whether she actually stayed at that inn in the past.
Koharu stumbled upon Nagisa and Lobelia while shopping for meals, as the two were trying to find a particular novel. Nagisa largely recognized her due to having heard of her elsewhere. They then made small-talk about literary genres, with Nagisa learning that Koharu specifically liked classical Japanese literature, recognizing the genre as including Man'yōshū and The Pillow Book. Nagisa eventually explained when Koharu asked why they were looking for a particular book that she needed it as source material for a new acting gig, citing her job as a stage actress.
Koharu stumbled upon Nagisa and Lobelia while shopping for meals, as the two were trying to find a particular novel. They then made small-talk about literary genres, with Lobelia relating to Koharu's love of Japanese classical literature since she herself also was fond of classical literature as well, albeit of more Western origin such as the Iliad. When asking why they were looking for a particular book, Lobelia stated she had her own secret reasons for wanting to read it.
Fiona, alongside Ayane, met Koharu in order to thank her for opening up the onsen, with Fiona in particular really enjoying the experience due to having never actually experienced them for herself. She also hoped that the three would engage in a "Naked Talk" at the onsen. However, since Koharu herself was working the entire time the onsens were open, she settled for a pajama party instead due to Koharu mentioning that participants tended to "talk until morning", with Koharu being especially eager to try it out. Fiona also inquired about Koharu's love of Japanese classical literature, having learned of it via her friend Lobelia earlier. Upon learning about Koharu's favorite story, Tale of Genji, she was very fond of what the story entailed. She then admitted that she'd still like to participate in an onsen with Koharu.
Ayane, alongside Fiona, met Koharu in order to thank her for opening up the onsen. Ayane remarked it "wasn't bad", and admitted that, although having more experience in the area than Fiona, she didn't generally participate in them. After learning that Koharu was working the same time that the onsens were open, she asked her if there was another means to interact besides that. Ayane reluctantly participated in the pajama party afterwards. She also learned of Koharu's love of classical Japanese literature, and admitted that, Tale of Genji aside, she wasn't familiar with many books in that genre, with Ayane giving more cynical commentary after Koharu explained what that story was about.
Dead or Alive appearances
- Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation (2017; DLC add-on)
The following are the music themes used for Koharu throughout the series.
|"Better"||Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation|
- She is the third character to use the honorific "-Sama" for the Owner, after Fiona and Lobelia. Of the three, she is also the only one to be Japanese and not of high class (as Fiona was explicitly a princess, while Lobelia was mentioned to be from an aristocracy). She also uses the Hiragana form, similar to Lobelia.
- Owing to her love of Japanese classical literature, her volleyball challenger chibi icon depicts her reading a book, as well as one of her gravures reading a book. The book "Beach Side Lovers" implies that she was also fond of the romance genre, which is further supported by Koharu relaying the plot of the Tale of Genji during small talk with Lobelia and Nagisa.
- Although her nationality is not supplied due to the bios for various girls lacking a nationality section, she is meant to be Japanese, due to the hiragana spelling of her name, and also her backstory of being the daughter of an inn keeping couple for a Japanese hot spring inn and her love of Japanese classical literature.
- Koharu is so far the only girl to have a live voice segment during an anniversary while still remaining behind a paywall.
- She is the fifth character to hold an explicit job on the Venus Islands besides participating in the festivals, after Misaki (who acts as the part-time Supporter for the Owner), Tamaki (who designs various wardrobes for the events), Monica (who runs the local casino), and Elise (who manages the Owner to keep him to his schedule). In Koharu's case, she acts as an in-training landlady for the island's Hotel.
- She is also the third character to debut a new or at least returning gameplay element, after Luna (who's inclusion brought in the Jungle from past games) and Monica (who brought in the Casino). She brought in the onsens, which acted as a replacement to the training menu due to complaints about how the latter mode was deemed useless.
- According to Sakuta in his commentary during Famitsu's coverage of the fourth anniversary, Koharu was created mostly to satisfy the development staff's request for a cute girl who could be readily identified as Japanese. He also elaborated that Koharu's motivation was to be like her mother regarding her actions.
- As of her debut, Koharu is the youngest character in the series.
Notes and references
- Implied by the Hiragana spelling of her name
- File:Koharu DOAXVV Famitsu Concept.jpg
|Playable||Kasumi • Momiji • Hitomi • Helena Douglas • Marie Rose • Honoka • Nyotengu • Kokoro • Ayane|
|Post-DOAX3 Exclusives||Misaki • Leifang|
|PC Exclusives||Luna • Tamaki • Fiona • Nagisa • Kanna • Monica • Sayuri • Patty • Tsukushi • Lobelia • Nanami • Elise • Koharu • Tina Armstrong • Amy|
|Games||Beach Volleyball • Blackjack • Butt Battle • Poker • Pool Hopping • Tug-of-War • Beach Flags • Rock Climbing • Roulette|
|Other terms||Gift Giving • Pictorial Scenes • Pole Dancing • Stats • Swimsuits • Virtual Pictorial • Zack Dollars • Girl Mode • Owner Mode|
|New Zack Island|
Casino • Hotel • Niki Beach • Pool and Poolside • Sports Shop • Tranquil Beach • Zack of All Trades
|Achievements • Costumes • Downloadable Content • Item Collection Datasheet • Merchandise • Promotional Artwork and Wallpapers • Transcripts (Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 and Scarlet/Venus Vacation)|