Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation (also known as DOAXVV) as the fifth game in the Xtreme series, and only game to be released on PC. The game was released in Japan on November 17, 2017.
The game was first announced in Tokyo Game Show 2016 as a browser game. No further information was revealed since then. It was in Tokyo Game Show 2017 that it was announced that it is going to be a full-pledged PC game. The game uses high-quality 3D models similar with the previous game, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3.The game is free-to-play with micro-transactions. The game first played using the DMM Game Player.
This is a gacha game, a game based on luck in earning the proper outfits/accessories - which may be upgraded in a second moment and will directly affect characters' stats.
Unlike the previous Xtreme games which featured nine characters, this one could count ten since the release date - the last one, Misaki, being an original character prominently seen in magazine scans, screenshots and trailers. In later moments five other new girls (Luna, Tamaki, Fiona, Nagisa and Kanna) were added, as well as one of the cut girls from Xtreme 3, Leifang. Each girl had at least two months and three weeks between their debut starting with Luna (or in the case of Fiona, one month and three weeks). Data text in the game indicated that, besides Fiona and Nagisa, there is at least one more female character to be added in, given the name extension "Cri" (possibly being Christie). Also, two name extensions of "Mil" and "Rac" were found, presumably referring to Mila and Rachel, respectively. However, this was ultimately changed, as proven by Kanna's release in April.
Although it was initially left Japan-exclusive, a playable beta eventually got a specific release on March 26, 2019 via Steam, which, aside from Japanese, also contained English, Korean, and two Chinese versions, thus marking the first time it got an official English release. The Steam’s Asian release is only for specific regions other than Japan, which are: Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Philippine and Macau. However, using a VPN program can allow people outside those regions to install and play the game.
The character who are added in this game will be added to an updated title version of Xtreme 3 titled Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet. Currently only the veteran Leifang and the new character Misaki to be added in the update’s base roster.
- Misaki: A part-time staff member who works as the owner's exclusive assistant. She is a modern girl who shares a casual, friendly relationship with the Owner, although she is extremely shy, especially regarding exposure of skin.
- Marie Rose: The pixie-like servant for Helena Douglas. She accompanied her mistress to the Venus Islands, but ended up being told by her to play on her own. Fed up with being treated like a child, she decided to participate in the Venus Festival in order to prove to Helena that she is indeed a full-grown woman.
- Honoka: A sweet, easygoing kind of girl who has been raised all of her life by her gentle and loving grandmother. She won another raffle to the island, and ultimately accepts the proposition of working with the Owner due to thinking the festival was similar to the ones at her hometown.
- Kasumi: A beautiful nukenin ("missing shinobi") and former member of the legendary Mugen Tenshin clan. As of late, whenever Kasumi reads her fortune, it tells her to head to the Venus Islands in order to find "something special." She accepts the request to aid the Owner in the Venus Festival, thinking that might be a lead to give her answers.
- Ayane: The brilliant master of the Hajinmon sect, the "dark side" of the Mugen Tenshin clan. She arrived at the island to investigate it for unknown reasons, although she decided to enjoy herself during that time. However, the island was dull to her tastes, so she accepted working with the Owner to form the Venus Festival to kill time.
- Kokoro: A positive and cheerful young lady who has mastered the martial art ba ji quan. She arrived at the island with the hopes that the island's Venus Festival would help revitalize her desire to train both her martial art and her apprentice geisha skills.
- Nyotengu: A mysterious and beautiful tengu whose legends have been passed down from ages old in the depths of Japan's mountains. She arrived at the Venus Islands due to sensing the vibes made by humans regarding vacations, she lost her wings due to the island's mysterious power. She decided to participate in the Venus Festival to have an "authentic" vacation experience, especially after learning that whoever wins the Venus Festival will win over the hearts of various humans.
- Hitomi: A young world-class fighter born to a Japanese mother and strict German father, who taught his daughter karate from an early age. Despite being involved in several fighting tournaments, she decided to pay a visit to the Venus Islands. Although confused by the beauty requirement, she nonetheless decided to join the Owner in helping set it up, being a natural optimist.
- Momiji: A kunoichi of the Hayabusa clan and the last Dragon Shrine Maiden. She was ordered to go to the Venus Islands and participate in the Venus Festival in order to hone her training. Although she is unsure of the festival due to being left with scarce details, and found it odd that beauty was one of the requirements, she nonetheless looked forward to it, seeing it as another way to hone her training.
- Helena: The youthful leader of the DOATEC conglomerate. She heard of the Venus Festival, as well as rumors that it housed a conspiracy. Deciding to investigate the festival herself to see if the rumors are true, she arrived at the island, disguising it as a private vacation.
- Luna: A mysterious girl found collapsed on the beach of the Venus Islands from a bout of hunger before being saved by “Roasted Sweet Potatoes”. She was delighted to accept the invitation to the Venus Festival by the owner. As a scholar, she says she wants to investigate the festival and the island, although it is unclear whether her actual motive is investigating the island or simply wanting to eat the Roasted Sweet Potatoes that were grown there.
Unlike in prior Dead or Alive games, whether mainline or the Xtreme series, Xtreme Venus Vacation does not mention the girls' nationalities on their bio, which effectively meant that, barring veteran characters, the girls without Japanese names (ie, names transcribed in Hiragana, exempting Kanna) have an unknown country of origin (although Fiona is implied to be European, while Luna briefly implies in one of her character episodes that she had hailed from one of the more impoverished countries up north). Misaki's nationality, and indirectly Nagisa's nationality, was later confirmed to be Japanese in Xtreme 3: Scarlet via the former's in-game bio.
The gameplay is very different from the previous games. Instead of the two-week periods, there is no time limit, although day and sunset, and to a certain extent nighttime are used as backdrops for various scenes and minigames. The main game is still beach volleyball.
The game is energy-based. As long as there is available energy, the player can play volleyball games. The game has day-night cycles but it doesn't have any effect on gameplay. In this game, the characters has to be unlocked to play as them. Previously, all characters are unlocked from the start. The player only start with two girls.
This game also has improved user interface. The player can pause the action, speed up the gameplay, change strategies, and summon a guest player.
This game is mainly in Owner mode, first introduced in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, wherein the player do not directly control the girls. The player only do commands, like set strategy and call timeout. The player, the Owner, do level up after performing certain actions.
Characters do level up as well. Increasing a character's level unlocks her character episodes.
The game also restores a degree of interactions between various characters besides that of the owner and the girl you've chosen at that time from prior Xtreme games which had been cut in Xtreme 3 via the Main and Event episodes.
During some events, the player can also unlock Extra Episodes where the girls change in the bathroom, similar to the changing mechanic in Xtreme 3. Despite the trailers showing the failed result if the owner "opens their eyes" at the wrong time, the actual episodes require that the player fully awaken the necessary outfits via awakening stones before such can be accomplished.
Volleyball games are stat-based. Each swimsuit has statistics such as Power, Tension, Stamina, and Appeal.
Besides volleyball, there was also a new minigame released in late June/July 2018, called suikawari. In addition, Rock Climbing made a return in late September 2018. In both minigames, aside from the player character, it also shows up to three girls cheering on the player character. In the latter case, starting with the Love Rock Climbing Event, one of the girls is seen at the top of the cliff to cheer for the player character. On March 2019, Pool Hopping made a return, although in a heavily revised format.
Differences between versions Edit
Aside from more languages and the platform, there are a few differences between the Steam and DMM versions.
- The episode "Sparkling Outfit" was made into an Event Episode for Messenger of the Moon's second half in the Steam version. In the DMM version, it was an Extra Episode.
- Honoka's Mint swimwear was an SR outfit in the DMM version. In the Steam version, it was an SSR outfit.
- Due to the timing of the release of the Steam version occurring in March instead of November, the Christmas, New Years', and Valentine's Day episodes were delayed to a later date, with the First Softening Lotion Therapy event being released in the place of the former two and the Naked Truth being released in the place of the latter. As such, the Christmas-related Event Episodes are no longer part of "First Covergirl."
- Also because of this, Hitomi has the first birthday in the Steam version. In the DMM version, Nyotengu technically has the first birthday via her "Special Day" celebration (with Kokoro having the first actual birthday).
- Helena has a swimwear, Illusion, that is exclusive to the Steam version during the Messenger of the Moon event.
- On that note, Luna has an extra paid suit in the Steam version, called "To You", in the Steam version for "Targeted Island" that is a recolor of Thank You/For You.
Notes and references Edit